Digital marketers thrive on change and competition. Undoubtedly, all of us grapple with pressures to increase productivity, reach more customers more efficiently and, ultimately, boost revenues.
By adopting new technologies, such as digital content management tools, traditional digital marketers are finding that they literally can revolutionize their business.
The basic concepts behind digital content management is a need for content organization, content version control, information architecture, content storage, and ease with adding marketing assets. Digital content management tools is sometimes referred to as digital asset management.
The built-in productivity and efficiencies of digital content management software enable digital marketers to take advantage of cross-sell and upsell opportunities, bring new products to market quickly, and generate new revenue streams.
Digital Content Management Opportunities
Digital content management creates new opportunities. We are only on the brink of changes being brought about by rapidly evolving electronic capabilities, including the Internet, customer relationship management tools, e-commerce, and continually increasing bandwidth.
Successful startup companies quickly learned how to leverage their existing digital assets such as images, copy, logos and product offers to get their products and messages out to broader audience across multiple media. It allows content creation on a quicker and bigger scale.
That is where digital content management comes into play. It provides the product and content hub for a multichannel publishing and marketing strategy.
To turn digital assets into revenue streams, digital marketers need tools that help them execute strategies to support their business.
Key strategies include:
- Synchronize campaigns: Coordinate publishing and marketing efforts across multiple media, re-purposing assets for e-mail campaigns, websites, and other media.
- Target more niche markets: Leverage one-to-one publishing tools to develop customer-specific content to deliver accurate, up-to-date information to the right target audience.
- Take advantage of new revenue opportunities: Quickly locate and re-purpose assets to publish to new sites. Establish a workflow that can create and evaluate quality content with ease. Web offers and brochures to go to market quickly with new campaigns.
Digital marketers are finding built-in limitations to managing product and creative databases. Primarily, it is difficult to mount the kind of campaigns that will increase revenue and drive business through multiple channels, including direct, third-party e-commerce sites, and stores.
Traditional marketing continue to drive consumers and businesses to web sites and to promote purchases online. But marketers need to implement technologies that will support cross-media publishing. Digital content management systems provide a single source of data for synchronizing information across print, Web, CD-ROM and other media.
When a digital content management system is implemented, product data (such as pricing, specifications, fact sheets from business systems or Excel files) and digital assets (such as Quark pages, digital photographs, copy, logos) from a variety of sources are managed in a central location for use in multiple publishing channels.
Ensure Accuracy and Correct Position
Because a single set of assets is linked to brochures, products, Web pages or e-mail, accurate pricing, consistent copy and branding are enforced. Last-minute updates are easily accommodated, extending deadlines and ensuring accuracy.
Manage Single Source of Truth
Managing a single data repository is key to efficiently re-purposing assets for print, Web, wireless or other media while also ensuring corporate standards are met to present consistent branding and messaging across all media. Do not search your entire site for a document. Instead, use a complete source of truth to management content both online and offline.
Targeting niche markets.
Digital content management solutions provide tools for automating planning and production to cost-effectively produce regional, specialty or custom products and Web pages.
One example is space analysis or square inch reporting. These help identify the most successful offers and develop plans based on those reports. This feature selects assets from the database and paginates based on predetermined rules — turning a labor-intensive process into an automatic one.
Because content management systems also store metadata (information about the data) along with each asset, digital marketers can track a wealth of information about each asset in the database.
Metadata can be used to attach detailed information to assets to ensure that the right assets are selected for each publishing channel. For example, metadata can be used to select the specific products or product presentations for one-to-one publishing campaigns.
Because data is stored as discrete elements, it is easily grouped and organized in any number of ways to create new or complementary messages.
Faster Workflow and Delivery
Faster time to market. The key to getting to market faster is being able to quickly locate and reuse existing assets. Content management provides secure access to corporate assets so no time is lost searching for files across systems and department, or worse, redoing work that is lost.
Content Management Systems
Content management systems often automate and streamline tasks that are traditionally labor-intensive. Review this content management system fact sheet for more facts.
Products, vendors and brands are flagged for automatic indexing. Rules are defined for automatic data extraction.
Templating tools let product marketers and merchandisers electronically create rough layouts with links to the database to quickly take new offers from concept to publication without duplicating any efforts. Bring all the components of a great article quickly with easy post evaluation.
Product Information Science
Vendors and suppliers with remote access can submit product information electronically, eliminating extra work and streamlining approval cycles to quickly launch new products across all channels.
Content life cycle tools let digital managers understand the age, quality, metadata, and context of a specific page. Retrieval of content allows quick delivery of past content to the user. Managing the content lifecycle becomes faster with complete knowledge of digital information. See more about how digital content has evolved in this Inc article.
Security and Communication
An integration with a content management system can also provide increased internal security and communication.
10 Examples of Digital Content Management Systems
- Contentful – “Orchestrate content across brands, teams, and regions to deliver new digital experiences faster, iterate quickly and adapt.”
- Storyblok – “Storyblok is the headless content management system that empowers 94,000 + developers and content teams to create better content experiences across any digital channel.”
- Salesforce Experience Cloud – “Create engaging, connected experiences for every business need — fast.”
- Sanity – “Sanity is the platform for structured content that powers remarkable digital experiences.”
- Contentstack – “Agile CMS at its core. Content experience platform at its best”
- Acrolinx – “Acrolinx uses the power of AI to improve your enterprise content. Because better content always delivers a better experience.”
- Seismic – “Empower your entire customer-facing organization with the skills, content, tools, and insights they need to delight clients and grow the business.”
- Concrete CMS – “Open source content management for groups. Run a secure website your content contributors will love using with Concrete CMS.”
- Issuu – “Join millions of content creators and transform your PDFs into SEO-friendly embeddable flipbooks, social stories, email assets and more. From one to many – create once, share everywhere.”
- Zoho Workdrive – “Transform the way your team works together—give them a secure, shared workspace, so their ideas have a home from conception to realization. Create, collaborate, and make teamwork happen.”
Take Advantage of New Revenue Opportunities
Establishing a digital content program focuses on generating new sales and leads for businesses. The technology can communicate value and expertise to an online and offline businesses.
Some actions steps to manage content are as follows. Create media like video and course to engage and interact with audiences with experimental content. Research unique media categories that make practical sense generally for target organizations. Define evaluation by not only the number of clicks and interactions with the campaign, but the amount of positive credibility developed through the experience.
Digital content management should be a strategic component for every digital marketer. The number of devices each person has is only increasing.
Content management extends every content manager’s reach through synchronizing print and online, generate new revenue through targeted campaigns, create cross-sell and upsell campaigns and bring products to market faster by automating the production process.
About the Author
Adogy is a digital media agency for small to mid-size companies. The company excels at placing outstanding companies in premier publications nationally. If you want to increase organic traffic or generate sales through digital media, schedule a call today.
Related Post: How to Get on TechCrunch